Coconut Muffins with Streusel Topping
Light, fluffy and tender, these easy coconut muffins with streusel topping are an irresistible treat! Packed with coconut flavor from coconut milk, coconut flakes and extract, they also include a dreamy sweet streusel. Dairy free and vegetarian.
These coconut muffins with streusel topping were originally published in May 2012. The post has been updated as of March 30, 2017 with new photos, text and a slightly modified & improved recipe.
It is absolutely no secret that I am a total freak over coconut.
So the pure coconut simplicity of these muffins? It makes my heart (and belly) oh so happy.
There really are no other competing flavors … just coconut goodness to the max. We have coconut milk. Coconut sugar. Shredded coconut. Coconut extract.
All combining into one fantastic light and fluffy muffin that is plenty coconut-y … but not in an overwhelming sort of way.
With their gorgeous puffy tops and that deliciously sweet streusel, consider this your warning that they are fairly addicting. ESPECIALLY warm straight from the oven. Oh me, oh my.
Now, I would consider these more on the dessert side of muffins (with that aforementioned streusel), but let’s be real.
They are so good that you’ll probably want to eat them all day long.
Tips & Tricks
- First up – substitutions. Lightly packed brown sugar should work just fine here in place of the coconut sugar. You could also use melted coconut oil in place of the grapeseed oil (Just make sure that everything is at room temp if you go this route. The coldness of other ingredients can harden up the coconut oil).
- I would encourage you to stick with white whole wheat flour in this recipe (and not regular whole wheat flour). It helps keep the muffins light and fluffy.
- For the canned light coconut milk, give the can a good shake before pouring out what you need. This just helps make sure it is nice and combined.
- Because of the streusel, I find that these muffins are best on the day they are made. However, if you do have any leftover, place a piece or two of paper towel in a container, then add the muffins and cover with a lid. The streusel starts to almost melt, for lack of a better word, into the muffins, but they are still delicious. I like to pop in the microwave for a few seconds to warm back up before enjoying.
Additional Muffin Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Banana Carrot Muffins
- Blueberry Coconut Muffins
- Healthy Pistachio Muffins
- Orange Olive Oil Muffins
- Whole Grain Morning Glory Muffins
- Strawberry Vanilla Muffins
- Dairy Free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 ½ teaspoons grapeseed oil
- heaping ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the muffins:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup grapeseed oil (or another neutral oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups and set aside.
For the topping:
- Add the sugar, coconut, oil and cinnamon to a small bowl and mix until combined and evenly moistened. Set aside.
For the muffins:
- In a large bowl, whisk together both kinds of flour, the sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, oil, vanilla extract and coconut extract until well combined.
- Add to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the shredded coconut (it will be a thick batter).
- Evenly scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling each about ⅔ to ¾ of the way full. Use your fingers to sprinkle the streusel over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for about 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 200mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.