Strawberry Vanilla Muffins
Prepare yourself, I have some strawberry recipes coming your way in the immediate future. Because I have a problem and can’t stop buying them like they are going out of style. They sit there all innocent in their little containers, looking all pretty and bright red and delicious. And they know … seriously they know … that I have been missing them since the summer when berries were in season and all that. But lately … lately they have been looking mighty good.
I’ve also started going to the grocery store during off hours. Let’s talk about the fact that the workers all know me and I chat it up each week with the produce guy (and the butcher … and the cashier … we’re bffs now too). And even he started talking about the strawberries last week. See, it’s totally not all my fault.
So muffins. Delicious strawberry vanilla muffins. That pack a nice little strawberry punch since I have my beloved berry in these two ways – fresh strawberry puree and strawberry jam. Go big or go home, right? I can’t believe I just said that. Moving on…
The muffins … they are super moist and have crunchy tops from the coarse sugar. Which I love. And you (or well really I) can eat a few too many in one sitting
Enjoy one with a cup of coffee for a nice afternoon treat. Or you can down a few for breakfast. I may have done just that this morning.
Yield: about 12 muffins
Strawberry Vanilla Muffins
Recipe for strawberry vanilla muffins. With fresh strawberry puree, strawberry jam and plenty of vanilla, these moist muffins are full of flavor.
For the puree:
- 4 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
For the muffins:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup strawberry jam or preserves
- coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- To make the puree – add the strawberries and granulated sugar to a food processor and process until smooth. Measure out ¼ cup and set aside (any extra you can discard).
- To make the muffins – whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Make sure that you break up any clumps of the brown sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together the ¼ cup of strawberry puree, egg, milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add in the strawberry jam (drop it in dollops into the batter) and mix just a few times – you don’t want it all the way incorporated into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tin, filling each about ⅔ of the way full. Sprinkle the tops with the coarse sugar.
- Bake for about 14 to 16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Make sure that you melt the coconut oil first and then measure out the ¼ cup (otherwise you may use too much). Alternatively, you can also substitute in canola or vegetable oil – they should both work fine here.
I’ve also made these using ¾ cup all-purpose and ¾ cup whole wheat flour. While still really moist, the strawberry flavor doesn’t come through quite as much. But they are still delicious!
Cook Nourish Bliss