Lime, Dark Chocolate and Coconut Muffins
Light and fluffy lime, dark chocolate and coconut muffins! These soft and healthy muffins are made with whole-wheat flour, naturally sweetened and packed with fun mix-ins. Dairy free and vegetarian.
The breakfast rut blues. That’s how I’ve felt lately.
I’ve been meh about oatmeal. Blah about my long-standing toast with peanut or almond butter. No love for greek yogurt topped with fruit.
None of it is doing anything for me these days.
I love breakfast (read I am hangry in the morning and you don’t want to be around me until I’ve had coffee and then something to eat) but the funk wouldn’t go away.
Clearly I needed to bust out of it with some freshly baked muffins. With chocolate. Obviously.
Since these were intended to be for breakfast time, I healthified them up a tad to feel better about eating them first thing in the morning.
There’s some whole wheat flour. Only honey and maple syrup to sweeten them up. Coconut oil.
And if you want, you can sub out the chocolate (although then we can’t be friends because who doesn’t like some dark chocolate for breakfast) for fresh or frozen blueberries.
I kid – I make these both ways. And like them equally. So we can still be friends.
Additional Muffin Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Banana Carrot Muffins
- Healthier Pistachio Muffins
- Orange Olive Oil Muffins
- Blueberry Almond Muffins
- Strawberry Vanilla Muffins
- Coconut Muffins
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil*
- ⅔ cup whole milk OR canned light coconut milk**
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (from about 2 limes)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks***
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together both kinds of flour, the baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut oil, milk, honey, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut extract and lime zest.
- Add to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and coconut.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tins, filling each about ⅔ of the way full. Sprinkle the tops with additional shredded coconut, if desired.
- Bake for about 14 to 16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Make sure that you melt the coconut oil first and then measure out the correct amount (otherwise you may use too much).
**To keep these dairy free - be sure to use the canned light coconut milk (stirred well) or another dairy free milk of choice.
***To keep these dairy free - be sure to use dairy free chocolate chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.