Cajun Quinoa with Sausage and Kale
Recipe for weeknight cajun quinoa with sausage and kale. Filled with colorful veggies and plenty of spices, this easy meal is sure to please!
Today we talk man food. Okay, that kind of made me chuckle. But the husband declared that this cajun quinoa is a man meal so I’m rolling with it. Although, apparently I don’t normally make man food?
Then again, when I look at this dish all I see are the super pretty, vibrant colors. So in my mind, it’s girly. So there’s that too.
But regardless, it is a pretty awesome meal. Man, woman, we can all agree that this quinoa dish is a win.
So let’s discuss why. First off, you can have it on the table in about 40 minutes. Some chopping, some simmering of the quinoa, some sautéing of the vegetables. Pretty easy stuff!
Ingredients In This Cajun Quinoa
And then we have all those colorful healthy components. Most notably plenty of veggies – like red onion, orange and red peppers and kale.
We also have some fire-roasted diced tomatoes, some cooked andouille sausage and of course the quinoa (I have a strong preference for the tri-colored kind but you can definitely use regular if you like!).
Finally, we pump it up even more with plenty of spices, like garlic, cajun seasoning, smoked paprika and a touch of cayenne for a bit of heat.
All combining into a delicious, healthy party on the dinner table. And the leftovers are excellent heated up for lunch.
I like to serve with a big awesome salad on the side. Perrrrfecto.
Additional Quinoa Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Stuffed Pepper Quinoa Skillet
- Roasted Garlic Quinoa Burgers
- BBQ Quinoa Stuffed Zucchini
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- Pulled Pork and Mushroom Quinoa Casserole
- Pineapple Cashew Quinoa Fried Rice
- Summer Squash and Corn Quinoa
- Quinoa Cashew Chicken and Broccoli
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the quinoa:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable (or chicken) broth
For the skillet:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 links cooked andouille sausage, halved lengthwise then sliced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 ½ teaspoons cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
For the quinoa:
- Add the quinoa and vegetable broth to a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, give it a stir, cover, then reduce the heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until the broth is absorbed. Turn off the heat and let the pan sit covered for about 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork.
For the skillet:
- After the quinoa has been simmering for about 5 minutes, set a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the onion and both peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add in the tomatoes, sausage, kale, cajun seasoning, paprika, salt, cayenne and milk. Give the mixture a good stir and then let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the skillet and mix to combine (it will be a tad saucy - for lack of a better word!). Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh parsley.
To keep this dairy free, use a non dairy milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 1001mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 7g Protein: 12g