Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds.
Last summer I discovered the wonder that is chocolate + zucchini. With these coconut oil dark chocolate zucchini cookies to be exact. And we all know that once I get stuck on something, there is no turning back.
Clearly the only option was to bake up something else with that glorious combo. So today I bring this double chocolate whole wheat zucchini bread to the table.
Let’s all grab a fork and dig in straight from the baking dish, shall we?
Ahem, that may have happened at our house.
Light and fluffy, yet also still sort of fudgy at the same time? It really is hard to resist.
And also quite simple to pull together. No need to get out your mixer – just a few bowls, a whisk and a wooden spoon!
So let’s get down to business.
We are using all white whole wheat flour here today. I would encourage you to stick with that. If you go for regular whole wheat flour the bread is going to be more dense and heavy.
So, we’ll whisk together the white whole wheat flour with some unsweetened cocoa powder and just a touch of ground cinnamon.
Next, we’ll mix together some coconut oil, some plain greek yogurt, coconut sugar, some eggs and some almond milk. Easy peasy. We’ll add in the dry ingredients and finally plenty of dark chocolate and of course lots of shredded zucchini.
The mixture is spread in a baking dish and then topped with these Salted Caramel Blue Diamond Almonds:
Which add just the perfect amount of crunch and a hint of extra sweetness. Plus, we all know how well salted caramel goes with chocolate. That’s a fact!
You may also want to just pop a few right into your mouth for snacking. Just sayin.
The bread bakes up beautifully in the oven and if you can’t wait for it to cool before digging in? Well, no judgment here.
Yield: 1 (8x8 inch) cake
Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Recipe for double chocolate whole wheat zucchini bread. Light yet fudgy! Full of dark chocolate and shredded zucchini!
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini (1 ½ to 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup full-fat plain greek yogurt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- ½ cup Salted Caramel Blue Diamond Almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper (cut a big enough piece so that the paper hangs over the edges of the pan on two sides). Spray lightly with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the shredded zucchini between a few paper towels or in a clean dish towel and squeeze to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, yogurt and sugar until combined. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and whisk until incorporated. Add in the milk and whisk again until combined. Add in the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the zucchini and dark chocolate. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan (it will be a thicker batter) and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the chopped almonds.
- Bake for about 32 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack. Let the cake cool completely, then use the parchment overhang to lift out of the pan. Cut into squares.
Be sure to melt the coconut oil first, then measure out the correct amount. Otherwise you may use too much!
Cook Nourish Bliss
PS. These bad boys are not included in the recipe (obviously!) but um, can we talk about how delicious they are for snacking? Blue Diamond graciously sent them along for us to try and well, the husband and I may have eaten the entire bag in one sitting. Well, not even one sitting … more like standing at the kitchen island grabbing handfuls at a time … whoops.
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. All opinions and content are my own. As always, thank you for reading and letting me share brands that I love and use in my own kitchen. It helps continue to make this site possible!