Double Chocolate Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
Light yet fudgy, this double chocolate whole wheat zucchini bread is an awesome way to put your extra zucchini to good use! With cocoa powder, dark chocolate and shredded zucchini, it’s seriously delicious. Dairy free and vegetarian.
Last summer I discovered the wonder that is chocolate + zucchini.
And we all know that once I get stuck on something, there is no turning back.
Clearly the only option was to bake up something else with that glorious combo. So today I bring this double chocolate zucchini bread to the table.
Light and fluffy, yet also still sort of fudgy at the same time, it really is hard to resist.
And also quite simple to pull together. No need to get out your mixer – just a few bowls, a whisk and a wooden spoon.
How To Make Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
So let’s get down to business.
We are using all white whole wheat flour here today. I would encourage you to stick with that. If you go for regular whole wheat flour the bread is going to be more dense and heavy.
So, we’ll whisk together the white whole wheat flour with some unsweetened cocoa powder and just a touch of ground cinnamon.
Next, we’ll mix together some coconut oil, some yogurt, coconut sugar, some eggs and some almond milk. Easy peasy.
We’ll add in the dry ingredients and finally plenty of dark chocolate and of course lots of shredded zucchini.
The bread bakes up beautifully in the oven and if you can’t wait for it to cool before digging in? Well, no judgment here.
Additional Zucchini Bread Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Orange Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
- Healthy Honey Cinnamon Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Bread Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Zucchini Bread Smoothie
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini (1 ½ to 2 medium zucchini)
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil*
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt or plain dairy free yogurt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks**
- ½ cup almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper (cut a big enough piece so that the paper hangs over the edges of the pan on two sides). Spray lightly with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the shredded zucchini between a few paper towels or in a clean dish towel and squeeze to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, yogurt and sugar until combined. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and whisk until incorporated. Add in the milk and whisk again until combined.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the zucchini and dark chocolate.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan (it will be a thicker batter) and spread evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the top of the batter with the chopped almonds.
- Bake for about 32 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Set the pan on a wire rack.
- Let the cake cool completely, then use the parchment overhang to lift out of the pan. Cut into squares.
*Be sure to melt the coconut oil first, then measure out the correct amount. Otherwise you may use too much.
**To keep this dairy free - be sure to use dairy free chocolate chunks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.