Pumpkin, Apple and Cheddar Calzones
Sweet and savory, these pumpkin, apple and cheddar calzones are perfect for fall! Filled with pumpkin puree, fresh sage, apples and white cheddar, they’re a fun twist on the classic dish. Vegetarian.
Note: This recipe is NOT dairy free. It was published before Cook Nourish Bliss transitioned to dairy free recipes and remains popular with long time readers. You can try using substitutions to make it dairy free, however I have not tested this myself and can’t say how it will turn out. Or, you can try this killer cheese-free pizza instead!
It’s time. I’m finally ready to throw down lots of pumpkin goodness.
And we’re kicking off the season on the absolute right foot. With these cheesy pumpkin, apple and cheddar calzones.
Don’t get me wrong, I am all about using pumpkin in baked goods. But I must say that I kinda sorta also love it in savory dishes.
Now, we all know that the combo of apple + cheddar is just straight up magical. And when we add in some pumpkin puree and fresh sage?
Um yeah, it’s pretty darn delightful.
Especially when all wrapped up in pizza dough.
How To Make Pumpkin Calzones
So, let’s discuss these little lookers.
And they really are quite simple. Another plus!
We’ll start by shaping some pizza dough into two circles, then smearing on some pumpkin puree that has been doctored up with fresh sage and a touch of nutmeg.
Next, we’ll layer on some sliced apple, some crunchy pecans, some savory green onions and of course some white cheddar cheese.
The calzones get assembled and then off they go to the oven, where they will get all golden and perfect.
I know it’s hard, but be sure to let them cool down before digging in. That filling gets really hot!
Sweet. Savory. Gooey. I mean, does it get any better? I think not friends, I think not.
Additional Pumpkin Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Vegan Pumpkin Fettuccine
- Vegetarian Pumpkin Lentil Chili
- Pumpkin and Brussels Sprout Gnocchi
- Fall Wild Rice Breakfast Burritos
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 ball pizza dough*
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- ¼ cup raw pecans, chopped
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup freshly shredded white cheddar cheese
- olive oil, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF. Place a pizza stone in the oven and allow the stone to heat for at least 15 to 20 minutes (if you have time, let it heat for 30 minutes!).
- Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface and allow to relax for about 10 minutes (but no longer than 30). Split the dough in half and shape each into a circle that is about 8 to 9 inches in diameter.
- In a small bowl, mix together the pumpkin, sage, salt and nutmeg. On half of each circle of pizza dough, smear on half of the pumpkin mixture (leaving a ½ to 1 inch border around the edge). Top each with half of the apple slices, the pecans, green onions and the cheddar.
- Fold the empty half of the pizza dough over the top to cover the filling (to form a semicircle). Press the edges of the dough together to seal, then use a fork to crimp the edges. Brush the tops of the calzones lightly with olive oil, then cut a few small slits in the top of each so they can vent.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to about the size of your pizza stone and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Transfer the calzones to the parchment and then carefully transfer the parchment to the preheated pizza stone. Bake until the calzones are golden brown, about 11 to 13 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving (the filling will be very hot so be careful!).
Prep time includes time to allow the pizza stone to heat for 30 minutes. It will be shorter if you don’t let it heat for that long.
If you don’t have a pizza stone, just skip the step of heating the stone in the oven. Set the parchment with the calzones on a baking sheet instead and bake as directed above.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 315Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 10g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.