Slow Cooker Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Super easy and oh-so-tasty, this slow cooker vegetarian tortilla soup makes for the best simple dinner! Packed with veggies, beans and spices, it’s fantastic served with lots of fun toppings. Dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
I fully realize that it is officially holiday baking season. And we are all about those cookies especially now that Thanksgiving is behind us.
But. We also still need to eat. Like real food. To counteract all that sugar, yes?
Which is why today we chat slow cooker vegetarian tortilla soup.
It is such a super simple dinner. And will make you feel all nice and warm and cozy inside. Making it perfect for the holiday season.
You can even have it cooking away in your slow cooker WHILE you bake all those cookies! Now that is how I do holiday multitasking.
But moving along, let’s get back to this soup. I think it would also make a great option for holiday entertaining.
Keep it nice and warm in the crockpot and set up a topping bar. Not too shabby, eh?
About This Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
This is very much a chop up some veggies, open up some cans, dump in some spices kind of recipe. There’s not much to it.
But oh is the end result awesome. The soup itself has plenty of flavor on its own, but I will confess that this is one of those recipes where I go nuts with the toppings.
I highly recommend plenty of avocado, cheese, green onion and of course some crunchy chips. Highly recommend.
It also gets even better as it sits. Perfect to make ahead and have for lunches all. week. long. Or dinner all week long.
Especially when you enjoy a bowl all cozied up with a blanket in front of your sparkly, glittery Christmas tree.
Additional Slow Cooker Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Thai Sweet Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Veggie & Wild Rice Soup
- Crockpot Vegetarian Chili with Farro
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the soup:
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less to taste)
- tortilla chips
- diced avocado
- shredded regular or dairy free cheese
- plain greek yogurt, dairy free plain yogurt or cashew sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onions
- lime wedges
- Add all the ingredients for the soup to a crockpot. Give it a good stir then cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve with desired toppings.
The soup has a little bit of kick as written with the cayenne pepper – so decrease that amount (or omit completely) depending on how spicy you like your food.
Be sure to serve with appropriate toppings to keep this vegan / gluten free / dairy free as needed for your diet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 839mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.