Slow Cooker Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Easy slow cooker vegetarian tortilla soup! Filled with veggies, beans and plenty of spices! Serve with lots of fun toppings!
I fully realize that it is officially holiday baking season. And we are allllll about those cookies cookies cookies, especially now that Thanksgiving is behind us.
But. We also still need to eat. Like real food. To counteract all that sugar, yes?
Which is why today we chat slow cooker vegetarian tortilla soup.
It is such a super simple dinner. And will make you feel all nice and warm and cozy inside. Making it perfect for the holiday season.
You can even have it cooking away in your slow cooker WHILE you bake all those cookies! Now that is how I do holiday multitasking.
While also simultaneously ordering Christmas gifts on the computer, addressing holiday cards and chattering away with my mom on the phone about what on earth I should get everyone – most notably my dad (ideas? please? send em’ my way!).
I am the queen of holiday multitasking. I also crack myself up.
But moving along, let’s get back to this soup. I think it would also make a great option for holiday entertaining. Keep it nice and warm in the crockpot and set up a topping bar! Not too shabby, eh?
So, the soup.
This is very much a chop up some veggies, open up some cans, dump in some spices kind of recipe. There’s not much to it!
But oh is the end result awesome. The soup itself has plenty of flavor on its own, but I will confess that this is one of those recipes where I go nuts with the toppings.
I highly recommend plenty of avocado, cheese, green onion and of course some crunchy chips. Highly recommend.
It also gets even better as it sits. Perfect to make ahead and have for lunches all. week. long. Or dinner all week long!
Especially when you enjoy a bowl all cozied up with a blanket in front of your sparkly, glittery Christmas tree. Happy, happy.
Additional Slow Cooker Soups You Might Enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Thai Sweet Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Veggie & Wild Rice Soup
- Crockpot Vegetarian Chili with Farro
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the soup:
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less to taste)
- tortilla chips
- diced avocado
- shredded regular or dairy-free cheese
- plain greek yogurt or dairy-free plain yogurt
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onions
- lime wedges
- Add all the ingredients for the soup to a crockpot. Give it a good stir then cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Serve with desired toppings.
The soup has a little bit of kick as written with the cayenne pepper – so decrease that amount (or omit completely) depending on how spicy you like your food.
Be sure to serve with appropriate toppings to keep this vegan / gluten free / dairy free as needed for your diet!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 839mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 4g Protein: 9g