Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites
Welcome to my obsession with all things peanut butter + chocolate + honey, take two.
In case you are just joining us, let’s review for a sec. A few months ago, I shared these peanut butter pretzel honey balls (with a chocolate drizzle!). Which are highly addictive and I still love to pieces.
However, I consider those little guys more on the dessert end of the spectrum (rather than the snack side). Although, let’s be real. I absolutely positively enjoy them as a snack. I mean, they are sweet and salty AND there’s pretzels involved. Total no brainer.
But! I wanted to make something that was more purely snack (with that same ever favorite combo of mine). Which brings us to today’s recipe. Helloooooo chocolate peanut butter energy bites!
They are packed with all sorts of healthy goodness – like oats, flaxseed, hemp seeds, sesame seeds! And yet still pretty much taste like a peanut butter cup. From some cocoa powder, peanut butter, honey and vanilla!
And let me tell you, they are just so darn pop-able. I’ve been making a batch every week lately and have been known to grab one from the fridge for just about any reason I can think of. Pre-workout snack? Check. Afternoon snack? Check. Pre-dinner oh my gosh I’m so hungry and can’t wait until I’m done cooking snack? Check check check.
Oh, and did I mention that they are super simple?? These little bites win on all fronts.
So, let’s get to some tips & tricks for the recipe!
- You can definitely go for natural peanut butter here (I do!), but just make sure that you stir it together really really well before using in the recipe!
- You can use any kind of unsweetened cocoa powder you’d like – regular or dutch process. I personally love the darker cocoa, but either works!
- When you mix the wet ingredients into the dry, it will take a little arm power! The mixture is definitely thick! Be sure to stir until well combined and the wet ingredients absorb the dry ones.
- If the “dough” is really sticking to your hands when rolling into balls, give them a quick rinse under cold water (it won’t stick as much when your hands are clean and cold!).
- Not feeling the peanut butter (or are allergic)? You could definitely use a different kind of nut butter – I think almond butter in particular would be fantastic!
I mean, obsessed doesn’t even begin to cover how I feel about these tasty little bites.
Yield: about 22 bites
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Chewy & simple chocolate peanut butter energy bites! Packed with wholesome ingredients and taste like a peanut butter cup! Perfect for snacking!
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup shelled hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- about ¼ to ⅓ cup ground walnuts, for rolling (optional)
- Add the oats to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped (but not so far that it turns into a flour-like consistency). Add to a large bowl.
- To the bowl, add in the flaxseed, hemp seeds, sesame seeds and cocoa powder. Mix to combine. Add in the peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract. Mix again until well combined (it will be quite thick!). Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let chill for about 30 minutes.
- Form the chilled mixture into balls about 1-inch in size. Add the ground walnuts to a shallow dish or bowl, then roll the balls in the walnuts, pressing lightly to coat. Store the balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Prep time only includes hands-on / active time to make the bites. It does not include the 30 minute “dough” chill time.
Be sure to store these in the fridge! They get too soft if you keep them at room temp (and personally I think taste better cold anyway since they get awesomely chewy once chilled!).
Cook Nourish Bliss