Herbed Zucchini and Corn Orzo Salad
Zippy, light and fresh, this herbed zucchini and corn orzo salad is perfect for summer! This simple pasta dish is excellent for barbecues, potlucks or as a quick and easy dinner. Dairy free and vegan.
I have another summer favorite comin’ atcha today in the form of this herbed zucchini and corn orzo salad.
And let me tell you, I am in the summer zone right about now. Because the past few days? Hands down the most beauuutiful weather of the season so far. We’re talking in the 80s, no humidity, gorgeously sunny.
It’s got me completely blissed out and all I can think about is getting back outside as soon as humanly possible.
So let’s keep things short and sweet, shall we?
And get down to the task at hand – this orzo salad.
Light, fresh, packed with summer produce, whole wheat pasta, a zippy honey lemon dressing!
It’s filled with flavor, perfect for the season and only takes about 30 minutes to whip up.
And this warm weather staple can most certainly serve you well in just about any situation. Easy dinner? Check. Make ahead side dish? Check. Potluck / picnic / summer shindig situation? Check check check.
It’s got you covered on all fronts.
Tips & Tricks For This Zucchini and Corn Orzo Salad
- This jazzy little number is delicious served either hot or cold. If I’m making this for dinner, we tend to enjoy it warm. But otherwise, cold or room temp all the way.
- Along those lines, if you are planning on enjoying this as a main dish, it is most excellent served or topped with a protein of choice.
- Feel free to play with / adjust any of the flavors to your taste. Add more lemon zest or juice to make it extra zingy and bright! Add more basil to pump up that spicy freshness! Sprinkle on more nuts for extra crunch! You catch my drift, yes?
- And finally, you can absolutely use regular orzo instead of the whole wheat variety. I find that whole wheat orzo can be a little hard to find at my local stores (so of course when I do find it, I stock up like it’s going out of style – pasta love ♡).
Additional Fresh Corn Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Dairy Free Corn Chowder
- Healthy Zucchini Fritters with Tomato Corn Salsa
- Zucchini and Corn Tacos
- Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
- Blueberry Corn Panzanella
- Grilled Corn and Pineapple Salsa
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the salad:
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium bunch scallions, thinly sliced, whites & greens separated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small to medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup lightly packed baby arugula, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup pine nuts
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey (or pure maple syrup)*
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
For the salad:
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to the package directions. Drain, then add to a large bowl. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. When hot, add in the scallion whites and the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add in the zucchini and corn and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the zucchini is crisp tender. Remove from the heat.
- Add the veggies to the large bowl with the pasta. To the bowl, add the scallion greens, the arugula, basil, parsley and pine nuts. Toss to combine.
For the dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour into the bowl with the warm pasta and toss to combine. Taste and season with additional salt / pepper as desired (I usually add somewhere between ¼ to ½ teaspoon more salt).
- Enjoy warm or chill in the fridge before serving!
*To keep this vegan - use the maple syrup and not the honey.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 100mg Carbohydrates: 49g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 5g Protein: 11g