Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup
Over the last few months I have been trying to use my crockpot on a more regular basis – it’s something I don’t take advantage of enough. I am definitely one of those people who gets too freaked out to leave it on all day while I’m gone at work, so it only comes out on the weekends. While they may be crazy, I have these visions of our entire house burning down because of the crockpot. So for now I think I’ll stick with my weekend use only!
While I typically use it just to make shredded meat, in particular this BBQ chicken, I have wanted to branch out a bit. With all the cooler weather, I have had lots of cravings for soup. And soup seemed like the perfect meal to make in the crockpot.
And let me tell you, this stuffed pepper soup went over very well in our house – it is filling and comforting, perfect for this time of year. I enjoy stuffed peppers but never feel like making them, so this soup is a great alternative. It is so simple to make – just cook the turkey in a skillet and then let the crockpot take care of the rest.
I especially like that this soup is on the healthier side – I subbed in ground turkey and used brown rice instead of white. And make no mistake, while it may be good for you, this soup certainly does not lack in flavor. It is very reminiscent of actual stuffed peppers – which is a definite plus. I will note that over time (i.e. with leftovers) the rice absorbs a lot of liquid. We just added in a little bit of water when serving and it was right back to the original consistency. Easy peasy. Or, you can just add in the rice individually when serving (and do the same with your leftovers). Problem solved.
Yield: about 6 servings
Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup
Recipe for crockpot stuffed pepper soup. With ground turkey and brown rice, let the crockpot do most of the work for you.
- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey (I used 7% fat)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in ground turkey and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until it is no longer pink and cooked through. Drain off any fat.
- Add the cooked turkey to the crockpot. Add in the onion, peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, salt, pepper, brown sugar, basil, oregano and water. Mix to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir in the cooked brown rice. Spoon into bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese if desired. For leftovers, if needed, add in additional water if the soup gets too thick.
Adapted from What Megan’s Making.