Crockpot Chicken, Wild Rice and Butternut Squash Soup
Recipe for crockpot chicken and wild rice soup with butternut squash! Let your slow cooker do all the work! Comforting, simple and delicious!
Let’s talk comfort in a bowl. Simple, easy, let your crockpot do all the work for you, comfort in a bowl – i.e. the very best kind.
I have been on a soup bender like no other. We’re talking at least one pot a week. Sometimes more. I can’t stop. And won’t stop.
It’s just too good this time of the year.
And when you combine that love of soup with my crazy love for my crockpot?
Well, that’s just a winner winner chicken dinner. Big time.
About This Crockpot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
So. Today’s recipe couldn’t be any more simple.
Throw a bunch of ingredients in the crock and then just walk away and let it do its thang. Get all delicious and jive together up in there.
You’ve got butternut squash, swiss chard, chicken, wild rice, plenty of spice!
And it gets sort of thick and almost creamy … even though it’s just broth, chicken, rice and veggies in there! Magic I tell you.
It’s perfect rainy day soup. Feeling under the weather soup. Any day soup!
Delicious soup! Make it happen! Yes yes!
Additional Crockpot Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Slow Cooker Thai Sweet Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Veggie & Wild Rice Soup
- Crockpot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Chili
- Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili
- Crockpot French Onion Soup
- Crockpot Vegetarian Chili with Farro
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash (¾-inch chunks)*
- ¾ cup uncooked wild rice (or wild rice blend)
- 7 cups low-sodium veggie or chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed and chopped
- Add the onion, butternut squash, rice, broth, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and cinnamon to a crockpot. Mix to combine. Nestle the chicken breasts into the mixture. Cover and cook on low for about 7 to 8 hours, until the veggies and chicken are tender and the rice is nice and soft.
- Turn off the crockpot. Remove the chicken from the crockpot and place on a cutting board. Shred with two forks and then return the chicken to the crockpot. Add in the swiss chard and mix to combine.
- Place the cover back on the crockpot and let sit for 10 minutes. Taste and add additional salt / pepper if needed.
*You’ll get about 4 cups from a small 2 pound butternut squash. Prep time will be less if you use pre-cut butternut squash chunks!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 526mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 4g Protein: 21g