Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole
I am so pumped for this week on the blog. Why is that you ask? Because it is officially Crocktoberfest. Yes, you read that right. A week full of recipes all for your handy dandy crockpot. Well, three recipes to be exact – breakfast, dinner and dessert. And not just here on Cookie Monster Cooking, but on some other awesome blogs as well. So get your crockpot ready – it’s go time.
And first up? Breakfast. This casserole is perfect for company – it makes a lot of food, is satisfying and of course delicious. I will say that this definitely tastes best fresh, so save this for a time when you’ll have plenty of hungry people around. Thanksgiving or Christmas morning? Yes and yes.
My favorite part about this breakfast is that you can quickly get everything ready and throw it in the crockpot. Either get up a little early and cook it on high for four hours or make it right before you go to bed and let it cook on low overnight (which is my personal favorite since then you wake up to an awesome breakfast that is ready to go).
I’ve teamed up with some of my friends to bring you 9 other amazing recipes. Be sure to check them out! And if you love crockpot dishes then also check out the hashtag #crocktoberfest2013 on facebook, twitter, and instagram to find all the other recipes that will be shared this week.
Overnight Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal from Around My Family Table
Slow Cooker Breakfast Pumpkin Bread Pudding from Cook the Story
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole from Eat Drink Love
Pumpkin Oatmeal in a Crockpot from Peanut Butter & Peppers
Apple Monkey Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Crockpot Creamy & Savory Coconut Rice from Curry and Comfort
Slow Cooker Ham & Swiss Fritata from 365 Days of Crockpot
Sunday Slow Cooker Hashbrown, Ham, & Spinach Casserole from Slender Kitchen
Crockpot Overnight Pumpkin Pecan Steel Cut Oatmeal from Kitchen Treaty
- 30 to 32 ounces frozen shredded hash browns
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups freshly shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
- hot sauce
- Generously spray a large crockpot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place half of the hash browns in the bottom. Top with half of the black beans, half of the cheddar cheese, half of the pepper jack cheese, half of the pepper and half of the green onions. Repeat this process.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture evenly over the top.
- Cover and cook on high for about 4 hours or on low for about 8 hours, until the eggs are set.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro, some salsa, sliced avocado and hot sauce.
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats. Originally from Jimmy Dean.