Sausage, Mozzarella and Basil Pizza
This simple homemade sausage, mozzarella and basil pizza is absolutely delicious! With sweet Italian sausage, fresh tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar, it makes for a fantastic weeknight dinner. No need to order out!
Note: This recipe is NOT dairy free. It was published before Cook Nourish Bliss transitioned to dairy free recipes and remains popular with long time readers. You can try using substitutions to make it dairy free, however I have not tested this myself and can’t say how it will turn out.
We really like homemade pizza in our house. So much in fact that I can’t even remember the last time we ordered pizza.
Since I learned to set the oven temperature at 500 degrees and preheat the stone for at least 30 minutes before using, we’ve had our pizzas turn out great every single time. It’s awesome.
We like trying different varieties of pizza toppings and this one is definitely a winner. Then again my husband instantly declares anything with sausage “awesome.”
Aside from the sausage, we really enjoyed how simple the combination was of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. The sausage was just the added bonus.
Additional Pizza Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Arugula Pesto Pizza
- Apple Bratwurst Pizza
- Fresh Corn and Zucchini Pizza
- BBQ Chicken and Pineapple Pizza
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 2 links sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- ¼ to ½ cup your favorite pizza sauce (I use closer to ¼ cup)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 5 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ to 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF. Place a pizza stone on a lower rack in the oven and allow the stone to heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the dough ball on a lightly floured surface and allow to relax for about 10 minutes (but no longer than 30).
- Roll out and shape the dough and then transfer to a piece of parchment the size of your pizza stone that has been lightly dusted with cornmeal.
- Meanwhile, add the sausage to a medium-large skillet set over medium heat. Cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for about 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through and browned.
- Add a thin layer of pizza sauce to the shaped dough. Next add the slices of mozzarella, then the sliced tomatoes. Top with the crumbled sausage and basil. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar and then finally the red pepper flakes.
- Place the parchment with your dough directly onto the pizza stone. Bake until the crust is golden, about 8 to 12 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 554mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 12g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.