Spinach Pesto Pasta
This spinach pesto pasta is a perfect quick and easy dinner! With a flavorful spinach pesto, sun-dried tomatoes and a touch of greek yogurt for creaminess, it’s hard to beat! Vegan & dairy free options included.
I have a tendency to buy way too much spinach each week at the grocery store. We go through a lot of spinach in our house, but for some reason I always overestimate just how much we really need.
The extras usually go into smoothies or something like that, but a few weeks ago I needed to use a bunch … and quickly … before it went bad.
I usually just make regular basil pesto, but decided to experiment and make a spinach version. Since that would use quite a bit of the aforementioned tons of extra spinach.
And from there, this quick and easy dinner idea was born.
This pasta is jam packed with plenty of good-for-you spinach, along with some crunch from the walnuts and a little saltiness from the sun-dried tomatoes.
There’s also just a hint of kick, from the red pepper flakes, and you can definitely dial it up and add some more depending on your taste.
I also added in a little greek yogurt to give it a hint of creaminess and was so happy with the result.
And if you’re like my husband and like meat with your dinner, add some sliced chicken or sausage. It’s great that way as well.
Additional Pasta Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Spring Green Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Lemon Garlic Pasta Skillet
- Eggplant Parmesan Pasta Skillet
- Skillet Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Pasta
- Pasta with Ratatouille-Style Vegetables
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the pesto:
- 4 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese*
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the pasta:
- 1 pound your favorite pasta
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt**
- ½ cup raw walnuts, chopped
- ⅓ to ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained, patted dry and chopped
- additional freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving***
To make the pesto:
- Add the spinach, basil, walnuts, garlic, salt, red pepper and parmesan cheese to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add in the olive oil and process until smooth. Set aside.
To make the pasta:
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the pesto and greek yogurt to the bowl with the pasta. Mix until evenly coated, then taste and season with salt / pepper as desired.
- To serve, spoon the pasta into bowls. Top with some walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes and additional parmesan cheese, if desired.
*To keep this dairy free / vegan - use 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast instead of the parmesan.
**To keep this dairy free / vegan - use plain unsweetened dairy free yogurt.
***To keep this dairy free / vegan - omit the parmesan for serving.
To keep this gluten free - be sure to use an appropriate pasta of choice!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 435mg Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Protein: 13g