Creamy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Pasta Skillet
This creamy sweet potato and black bean pasta skillet is the ultimate weeknight meal! With a luscious sauce made from sweet potato, plenty of veggies and warm spices, it’s a fun spin on classic pasta. Vegetarian with dairy free, gluten free & vegan options.
With the amount of sweet potatoes that I eat it’s slightly surprising that I haven’t turned into one. A giant walking sweet potato that is.
I also have this problem when I’m brainstorming recipe ideas.
I sometimes realize that 9 out of 10 involve sweet potatoes. Oy. It’s like my mind is consumed with them!
At least they are good for me. I guess it’s better than constantly thinking about brownies?
Anywho. Today we are talking pasta. Because I feel like it’s been awhile since I’ve shared a pasta recipe with you. And boy is this a good one. Because, sweet potatoes. Okay, I’m stopping now.
It is also good because it is mexican-y (yay!) and you can have it on the table in about 30 minutes. Hello weeknight dinner.
Ingredients In This Sweet Potato Black Bean Pasta
And did I mention that it has a creamy dreamy sauce?
While there is some milk to help give it that wonderful creaminess, a lot of it comes from sweet potato puree. Which I just love.
And there’s no heavy cream in sight.
The sauce is also full of a few of my favorite spices, like cumin and smoked paprika, giving it a ton of flavor. It’s creamy without being heavy, which in my mind is perfect for this time of the year.
We also have a good amount of veggies in the mix, like red onion, jalapeno, pepper and corn, and some black beans for protein. Which all make me happy because I like plenty of “stuff” in my pasta on most days.
We’ll tie it all together with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro and of course a bit of cheese.
I like to use pepper jack here to give it a little more kick, but you could certainly use cheddar or some other mexican blend.
And if you’re feeling particularly cheesy? Sprinkle a little extra pepper jack right on top of each bowl while it’s still hot. Yum-o.
Additional Pasta Skillet Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Veggie Tortellini Skillet
- Butternut Squash Pasta Skillet
- Skillet Chicken Fajita Pasta
- Green Bean Pasta Skillet
- Eggplant Parmesan Pasta Skillet
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 16 ounces whole wheat ziti (or another smaller pasta)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato puree (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup milk of choice**
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded regular or dairy free cheese***
- fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, set a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the red onion and cook for about 2 minutes, until it starts to soften. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add in the jalapeno, pepper and corn. Cook for about 4 to 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add in the sweet potato puree, black beans, milk, vegetable broth, cumin, paprika, salt and cayenne. Mix until combined then bring the mixture to a gentle simmer (increasing the heat slightly).
- Let the mixture simmer gently for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring fairly often, until it thickens up a bit (it won’t be super thick - just saucy). Turn off the heat.
- When the pasta is done, add it to the skillet, along with the cheese, and mix until combined and the cheese melts into the sauce. Taste and season with additional salt and cayenne if needed.
- Garnish with the cilantro before serving.
*To keep this gluten free - use your favorite gluten free pasta.
**To keep this dairy free / vegan - use a non dairy milk of choice (I like plain unsweetened almond milk here).
***You can use any kind of cheese you like here. Pepper jack, cheddar, mozzarella, you name it. Just be sure to use a non dairy cheese to keep it dairy free / vegan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 358mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 16g
Nutrition data shown is an estimate provided by an online calculator and is for informational purposes only. It should not be considered a substitute for a medical professional’s advice.