Hummus, Veggie and Pesto Sandwich
A healthy and easy hummus, veggie and pesto sandwich! With pistachio pesto and crisp veggies! Creamy, crunchy and completely delicious!
Today’s recipe is basically the answer to the following question: what is a perfectly acceptable way to enjoy pistachio pesto as much as possible? And in a way that I can sneak it by the husband so that he doesn’t think we’re eating the same thing over and over (and over).
This hummus pesto sandwich is the ultimate answer. Because, um hello, we can switch up the veggies on the sandwich. So yeah. Totally different? I’ll keep telling myself that.
But let’s get real here. Today’s “recipe” is really a non-recipe. More like a general concept, if you will. But clearly I am highly enjoying this lovely little combination for my lunch and dinnertime pleasure, so I figured it was worth sharing.
I also figure that we’re in the days following a long weekend, which means we are all easing back into things right now. Non-recipes are where it’s at.
warm crazy humid / hot North Carolina weather, I live totally in the land of salads and sandwiches. There’s just something about the heat that makes me crave all things simple.
I most definitely do not have the motivation to make anything complicated or fussy. I guess it’s just that lazy summer vibe, yes? By the time dinner rolls around, all I really want to do is plant myself on the couch (or back porch!) with an ice pop and chillax to the max.
But. When a recipe only takes about 10 minutes to pull together? Well that, that, I can muster up the motivation to make! Especially when it involves pistachio pesto! <— Nothing like some pesto to give me a kick in the butt!
Tips & Tricks For This Hummus Pesto Sandwich
- The recipe is super quick already, but it’s crazy fast once you have the pesto made and the veggies all chopped. I like to prep everything in advance so that dinner can be in my belly in no time flat.
- Even though I’ve gone on and on about the infamous pistachio pesto (which is dairy free / vegan!), you could certainly use your favorite instead.
- Also, I feel like this goes without saying, but to keep this gluten free, be sure to use your favorite gluten free bread.
- Lastly, our preferred combination of veggies is listed in the recipe, but I think any number of options could work just lovely here. Use the recipe below more as your guide!
Additional Sandwich Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Grilled Greek Salad Pita Sandwiches
- Caprese Avocado BLT
- Fresh Corn and Tomato Open-Faced Sandwich
- Fresh Herb White Bean Avocado Sandwich
- Arugula, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Open-Faced Sandwich
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- ¼ cup plain hummus
- few slices cucumber
- few slices tomato
- ¼ of a medium avocado, sliced
- thinly sliced red onion
- small handful alfalfa sprouts
- 1 to 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons pistachio pesto
Set one piece of bread on a work surface. Smear with the hummus, then top with the cucumber, tomato, avocado, red onion, sprouts and lettuce. Smear the pesto on the second piece of bread. Place on top and serve immediately!
As with all sandwiches, feel free to adjust the quantities of any of the ingredients to taste!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 493 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 26g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 596mg Carbohydrates: 52g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 11g Protein: 15g