Fresh Herb White Bean and Avocado Sandwich
Let’s talk about lunch, part two!
And how well I am doing about making lunches. Like not leftover lunches but actually thought about it and made something specifically for lunch. Although if we’re being honest I was doing really well with this before I left for vacation. Since I returned my only thoughts have been holy-cow-how-do-I-have-this-many-emails-and-how-long-is-it-going-to-take-me-to-get-through-them!?
Don’t you wish there was a magical way to make all emails stop when you’re on vacation? That way you can come back and just kind of pick up where you were beforehand. No catching up.
Someone get on this. Please? Pretty please?
So in the midst of all my complaining about digging out of emails, I really should just stop and make these sandwiches again. We ate them for probably about two weeks straight while I was testing and tweaking them to share with you. And they seriously never got old.
And the best part? You can just make the white bean spread and honey mustard ahead of time so all you really need to do is assemble a sandwich when you are ready to shove one in your face. That’s my kind of lunch.
So let’s discuss the individual components here.
1. White bean spread – Creamy, dreamy, full of fresh herbs.
2. Honey mustard – With two kinds of mustard! And honey. Duh.
3. Sliced avocado – Do I really need to say anything?
4. Some other fun toppings – You can find the nitty gritty down in the recipe below.
5. Bread – go for the good stuff. And something fun … like this marbled loaf.
Have I convinced you to make these yet?
Sandwich ♥ right there.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- about 1 tablespoon of water, if needed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- salt / pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- slices of your favorite bread, toasted
- sliced fresh tomato
- thinly sliced red onion
- sliced avocado
- alfalfa sprouts
- To make the white bean spread - add the beans, olive oil and garlic to the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. If it won’t smooth out, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches a smooth consistency (I usually add 1 tablespoon). Add in the basil, chives and rosemary and pulse until combined. Taste and season with salt / pepper to your liking.
- To make the honey mustard - add both kinds of mustard and the honey to a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- To assemble - smear the desired amount of white bean spread on one piece of the bread. Top with some sliced tomato, red onion, avocado and sprouts. Spread a little of the honey mustard on the second piece of bread. Place on top and serve!
Inspired by a sandwich from an adorable little local shop called Parker and Otis.
If you’re ever in Durham, go. And then you can also buy one of those fun little happy happy postcards I hung up in my foyer (along with their iced coffee). Really, you’ll want to buy a lot of things. And this isn’t sponsored. I just completely heart the place.