Sweet Potato Black Bean Pizza
This cheesy sweet potato black bean pizza is a fun twist on a classic dish! With a smoky black bean sauce, plenty of cheese, veggies and creamy avocado, it’s hard to resist!
Let’s kick this week off on the right foot.
Because boy do I need it. Life has been sort of insane lately. Without me getting all whiny and complainy, let’s just say that I bit off more than I could chew. Story of my life.
Combine that with some other factors beyond my control and that equals one stressed out lady. But it’s cool. I’m dealing with it … although I’m not sure if my husband would agree with that statement. He gets to see me all kinds of crazy on a regular basis.
The first step is admitting that you have a problem though right???
But anyway, homemade pizza does do wonders to calm me down … all that cheesy goodness I guess. True fact. Cheese = happiness.
And this flavor combo … is killer. Hands down my favorite pizza right now.
The “sauce” is a slightly smoky black bean puree and then you can go right ahead and top it will some sautéed sweet potatoes, red onion and plenty of manchego cheese (which let’s just put it out there that I am utterly and completely obsessed with at the moment).
Pull it out of the oven and then throw on some cilantro and creamy delicious avocado.
Gah, I die. So so good.
Additional Pizza Recipes You Might Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
For the pizza:
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ tablespoon olive oil, plus more for brushing
- about ¾ of a small sweet potato, sliced into rounds about ⅛ inch thick
- about 1 cup freshly grated manchego cheese*
- ½ of a small red onion, thinly sliced
- chopped cilantro
- sliced avocado
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF. Place a pizza stone in the oven and allow the stone to heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface and allow the dough to relax for about 10 minutes (but no longer than 30). Roll out and shape the dough and then transfer to a piece of parchment the size of your pizza stone that has been lightly dusted with cornmeal.
- Meanwhile, add the black beans, garlic, chipotle pepper, paprika, cumin, salt and vegetable broth to a food processor. Process until smooth (and a sort of thick puree forms). Set aside.
- Set a small skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When hot, add in the sliced sweet potato and sprinkle with a little salt. Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Brush the edges of the pizza dough lightly with olive oil. Spread the black bean puree on the dough, using a spatula to smear it evenly (it will be a thicker layer). Sprinkle the pizza with the cheese. Top with the sweet potato slices and red onion.
- Transfer to the oven (put the parchment paper with the pizza directly on the pizza stone). Bake for about 12 to 14 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the pizza cool for a few minutes, then sprinkle with the cilantro and top with the sliced avocado. Serve immediately.
*Most manchego cheese is made with animal rennet. If you are vegetarian, sub with mozzarella cheese instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g