Sweet & Spicy Popcorn Nut Party Mix
Allow me to introduce you to an oh-so-addicting snack.
It’s sweet. It’s savory. There’s a good kick of spice!
There’s also a very high likelihood that you won’t want to share this sweet & spicy popcorn nut party mix with others. Consider yourself warned.
I made quite a few batches while testing the recipe and not a single piece made it out of the house. Not even one.
But, if you make it, I promise you’ll understand. It’s crunchy. It’s light. And … it’s super easy.
It’s filled with fresh popcorn, a mix of pecans & walnuts, fresh rosemary, plenty of warm spices! It’s definitely sweet from a mix of both maple syrup and coconut sugar, but not totally over the top. Sort of like a lighter version of caramel corn, if you will!
Perfect for parties, perfect for gift giving! Or perfect just to keep in the house for a snack time fix.
Tips & Tricks For This Popcorn Snack Mix
- As written, the mix definitely has a kick from the cayenne pepper! If you don’t like a lot of spice, cut back on the amount. Or, you could absolutely leave it out entirely – it will still be sweet & savory & delicious!
- Be sure to use both the maple syrup and the coconut sugar (and not all of one or the other). The mix of the two gives the coating for the popcorn and nuts the perfect texture – like that lighter caramel corn we chatted about up above.
- However, along those lines, you can certainly substitute lightly packed brown sugar for the coconut sugar. Just be sure to also use that maple syrup!
- Once completely cooled, the mix keeps really well in an airtight container for several days. It’s never lasted more than that at our house (ahem, due to its addictive nature), so I can’t say if it will store well for longer!
Popcorn nut party mix! It’s a poppin’ good time! <— I’m sorry, I couldn’t myself.
Did you make this recipe? Rate and review it down below! I’d love to hear from you.
- ⅓ cup unpopped popcorn kernels
- 1 cup raw walnut halves
- 1 cup raw pecans halves
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil (or another neutral oil)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Pop the popcorn kernels on the stovetop or in a popcorn maker. Add to a large bowl, along with the walnuts and pecans. Set aside.
- Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, oil, rosemary, cumin, cinnamon, salt and cayenne to a small saucepan. Set the pan over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until well combined. Continue to cook untouched for about 2 to 3 minutes, until it comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and pour the mixture over the popcorn / nuts in the bowl. Toss to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the popcorn has dried (it will likely still be a little wet and that’s okay - it will dry further as it cools down). Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 109mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 10g Protein: 3g